Thursday, March 19, 2009

I have been in a creative funk the last month. Pretty overwelmed with so many ideas floating around my head, but nothing really catchy enough to play with. I knew I had to do something to get out of the funk, and I remembered what my professor Sam Fields said.. Just work. Just do it. Start painting or whatever and it will come to you, and the ideas will come. So that is what I did. I started with what I know, the pour but expanded on it and redefined it, but 'animating' it with the outline. My influences include Dr. Seuss, Disney's Alice in Wonderland and Second life, as well as Abstract Expressionism and Pop Art. I have also been dabbling with the idea of escape. Especially in our society today, I believe we are all trying to escape the dark times we are in right now. Whether its into Virtual Reality, Movies etc... I escape into my painting, and ok yes Second Life...hahaha But that is ok. I think my love of maps really comes out in a couple of these works. Especially the idea of islands and contour plains. Another place to escape too?
I love these works though. I think I have found a niche that I am happy to expand on. I am going to continue playing around. The next couple pieces I am working on have the background a solid color. So we will see how those come out.
These pieces here are in order of when they were done. The top piece was first, and so forth. I'd love to know what you think. Thank you all so much for your support!!!






1 comment:

Camilla said...

Nice work. Like the first two the best! Here is some constructive criticism. Take it with a grain of salt as I am no authority!

#1 needs more dimension. Maybe poured lines dripping across from the left side, and running through the white spaces? This would have been good if the lines were placed first, so they ran behind the circle images.

Would like #2 better if the rings made use of the colors that were more like the colors used in the first image. Composition is great! This one is my favorite by far!

#3 is good the way it is. Maybe some subtle red strokes here and there?

#4 and #5 don't wow me. I don't care for the colors as much.

#4 - with different coloring, you might still have something there to work with. It looks like a shoe - is it, or is that just my random eye?

#5 - the textures don't seem to complement each other in #5. Too many different objects and textures and colors.

Nice to see you working again! I love it when you share photographs for people to look at. I love your work.